Site Logo

The Original GL1800 Owners Group

Founded By Riders, For Riders - To join email: Join @ RidersRally (dot) org

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Much Weight Can A Goldwing Safely Carry
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:52 pm 

OK, this is probably a dumb, maybe even a sensitive subject, but given the fact that neither I - especially me, and my SO are no lightweights, just how much weight can a Goldwing carry not only for an hour or so, but let's say for a day trip or more. I've seen some pictures that make me wonder "is that bike over-loaded" or am I just being too cautious? Would really like to ride two up, but until now I've been thinking, "nope, just too much weight". Anyone?

Post subject: Re: How Much Weight Can A Goldwing Safely Carry
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:20 pm 

According to Honda for the 2009 GL1800:

Wet Weight: 933 lbs. (Airbag model)

Load Capacity: 405 lbs. (Airbag model)

GVWR: 1,338 lbs. (Airbag model)

Doesn't leave much wiggle room, especial if you have already added a couple hundred pounds in chrome/LED's and luggage...

As far as how much most Goldwings weigh that are being ridden down the road fully loaded with two well fed Wingers on board, I'm not going there, but they are riding at their own risk well above 405 lbs...

General concensus is the GL1800 is way under rated for load capacity.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:27 pm 
Riders Rally 100,000 Mile Award

got to be able to carry as much as one of these :lol:
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/pics/6720.jpg

WD9E0N
Jerry

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:23 pm 

The rear tire at 41 psi is only rated at 832 lbs and the front tire at the recommended 36 psi is @ 520 lbs of carrying capacity, so the the tires at their recommend pressure will carry a little more then the GVWR posted on the bike. So like pshivers says there isn't a lot of carrying capacity available. (thank the lord most of us only weigh @160 lbs soaking wet!)

When in doubt, Wing it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:12 pm 

I wouldn't worry too much about what the bike is carrying. It's when that overloaded Wing has a trailer on the hitch that probably weighs upwards of 1000 pounds. That's when the rider should start thinking about the bike's braking capability, especially in an emergency.
Some of them are downright scary! :shock:

IBA#38705

Hockey, it's our game, eh!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:14 am 

RickL wrote:
thank the lord most of us only weigh @160 lbs soaking wet!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

2006 Dark Red GL 1800
Gold Wing Premium Audio/Comfort
Replaced the 1200 Aspencade with over 115,000 miles of pure fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:00 am 

I posted this on the other board in reply to a weight / loading question. Most seems to apply here, but I'll paraphrase a little..

Last year at Wing Ding we went through the Dunlop tire inspection. They weigh the bike, first thing. Our luggage was at the hotel, so all we had on the bike was us and the usual saddlebag and trunk clutter.. small 6-pack cooler with a couple of bottles of water, jackets maybe (I forget now) rain gear, 1/2 cover, etc. I wanted to go back & get weighed fully loaded, but they had put the scales away due to earlier rain.

We were / are running Dunlop E3's

the results were:
459 front
926 rear

The Dunlop website indicates that the rear E3 has a load rating of 992 lbs, and the front (if I read it right) 600 lbs. Given these numbers, we had another 66 lbs available for stuff, and we had less than that. I'm sure we were really close, but we didn't exceed that number.

A trailer would allow you to trade weight you would carry on the bike for tongue weight. (200lbs in the trailer could equal only 30 lbs on the tongue, for instance..) Of couse, the mass of the trailer & luggage would effect braking & accelleration.

This doesn't address the load rating of the bike itself. Ours is placarded at 417 lbs. We exceed that before we get dressed in the morning, let alone with gear on.. Honda literature indicates that my '03 weighs a little under 800 lbs. That works out to 1217 lbs or less, and the Honda weight may have been dry. The newer wings are listed at about 900 lbs, which seems more realistic. We're 1385 before luggage. That weight limit may be for the original tires, though. The front was OK at 600 lbs, but the rear G704 was rated at 827 lbs.

Anyway, if you ride 2 up you should probably be looking at tire upgrades, and perhaps suspension upgrades. Goldwings are woefully underspring. Both RaceTech and Traxxion have solutions that will help. I put some Progressive stuff on my bike, and I'm not really happy with the long term results. The springs made a huge difference, but the rear shock is pretty well shot at 25K miles. For the same $$ I could have had Traxxion, or a RaceTech rebuild. Oh well. It's only money. And money can perform no more noble task than to buy stuff for a Goldwing...

Dave
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

I said to myself "that can't be true!",
but there it was, goin "Blue, Blue, Blue!"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 am 
Site Founder

Go to any goldwing event and I suspect you'll find large numbers of large riders riding 2-up, some towing towing large trailers. Is it safe? No idea... But based on observation, many wing riders are comfortable pushing their bikes well past the suggested GVWR.

My wife and I combined are under 300lbs, so I can't comment on how the bike handles with 2 large riders, but I have hauled a large trailer that was heavily loaded once or twice and, as mentioned above, braking is what you'll notice first.

Normal well balanced trailer loads have never been a problem for me, even with large trailers.

-donmac

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:29 am 
Riders Rally 100,000 Mile Award

Just hop on and have a 100-150 mile run and see how the tires wear and how it handles, that will give you info on how to proceed. Iv'e done 500lbs peeps and luggage for 90k miles with no prob but feeding gas and tires. LOL