Site Logo

The Original GL1800 Owners Group

Founded By Riders, For Riders - To join email: Join @ RidersRally (dot) org

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 pm 
Riders Rally 100,000 Mile Award

ctrcbob wrote:
How do they know when you move your transponder from one vehicle to another? I know that the transponder is assigned to one vehicle and you are not to move it to another, but when you go through the gate, and the transponder is working correctly, how do they know you moved it?

Actually, it can be assigned to as many vehicles as you want. Not sure how they know when you move it, or if they even do know. As long as that transponder reads every time there is no problem. When it fails to read and the toll is not paid, is when the camera goes off, and paperwork starts arriving in the mail. I guess there also has to be some provision to enforce what class of vehicle the transponder is assigned to, so that trailer trucks are not going through on cage fare. I don’t know how that’s handled. I just wish there were no darn tolls at all, and that revenue was generated by some other non traffic snarling means.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:44 am 
Riders Rally 200,000 Mile Award

I stopped at the EZpass trailer in Concord yesterday.

I wanted to confirm that my bike transponder was working properly and / or have the battery changed in it.

The EZ pass people in NJ (where you call using the phone no. on the transponder - headquarters) say that the battery can be changed.

The girl in the Concord trailer says they can't replace the battery only the whole unit. She said there was a 5 year warrantee and that it would be replaced free if it failed in that 5 years. After that, it's on your nickel.

She tested mine by putting it inside a box and reading the results on her PC.
She said mine was fine.

I told her how I had placed it in the passenger storage pocket and it originally worked like a champ. By late fall it seemed to fail most of the time. Seemed to work some if I slowed to a crawl.

By now I was thinking a weak battery was causing loss of sensitivity. She could only report a GO/NOGO status, not a relative signal strength. She said try it my car to see that it is good. Worked in car fine twice on ride back to Nashua. I'm not surprised as car windshield probably requires less signal strength than the Wings storage pocket.

She said continue to use it on the bike so that their records will show a good history of it working fine and then a history of failures. This would be their justification for free replacement.

As long as the plate number is registered for that transponder they will photograph that plate and automatically add it to your bill. If the plate isn't registered and the transponder fails, you may be in trouble.

As to the failure of them sending me a notice, they sent it to someone over in Exeter. Apparently the system didn't know it was a bike handicap plate. In the spring it was reported as NH 310 on my EZpass listing. No reference to MC or handicap.

She had a listing of plate types which included vets., and a good number of others. It did not include handicap motorcycle or initialed handicap motorcycle plates (new this year). She relabeled mine to the special plate category.

Seems to me that there are plenty of holes in their system.

She seemed to be aware of special problems with motorcycle use. Originally they were very adamant about putting it on the windshield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:36 pm 

This story was on WMUR this evening, unbelievable. Makes my blood boil.
There is plenty of real crime to fight out there. Remove the foolish tolls and get that revenue form some other tax or taxes that are already in place.
http://www.wmur.com/news/15122410/detail.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:01 pm 

Seems to me that the least the NH Dot should do is contact the alleged offender and tell him that he is about to be pulled.

It was nice that they sent a Highway Patrolman to my door to tell me they were going to pull my registration. I don't believe he said anything about licience though.

I don't think NH Dot and EZ pass headquarters in NJ have any two way communications. I think EZ pass notifies NH Dot to pull registration by plate number and that's it.

NH Dot could have gotten my address, email addr. and phone number from EZ Pass and phoned me instead of sending a trooper.

The trooper said you probably didn't get a notice, did you? He repeatedly said to call DOT which was really EZ Pass. He then gave me his card and said to call him and let him know what EZ pass said.

My guess is that he was aware that I wasn't the first one to have problems with the EZ pass people.

Pulling licience or registration without prior warning should be prohibited in my opinion. Should be cause for legal action.

BTW: Today my fee on that incident finally showed up on my EZ pass account as viewed on the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:26 pm 

*Lawmakers Move To Change E-ZPass Rules After Arrests*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:02 am 

Thanks for the input. I just sent a link to channel 9 news for this discussion.

IMHO they shouldn't wait for laws to be passed but someone high up should put a temporary restraining order out on this, while they work out the problems.

While they are at it they could reconsider the idea of having the EZ pass lanes in between the correct change and any cash lanes. Too many people run across the EZ Pass lane to the other side when they discover they don't have the correct change. If they looked at other states they will see the EZ Pass lanes are off to one side. No dangerous cross lane traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:28 am 

Fred In RI wrote:
Quote:
Personally I find it very convenient. Just pass right through without having to worry about stopping, taking off a glove or two, tossing the coins, toss another because one didn't make it, etc.

I couldn't have said it better..........But I will mention, how many times have you put your foot down to pay the toll and find out your left foot is on an oil slick..........

Fred: WOW you just hit the nail on the head with that one.. Had it happen to me the last time going on the turnpike -leaving Popolli"s Honda bringing bike home to put in garage for the long winter nap! Then it happened down I went- "fricken oil"... I won't ride in the middle cause that's were all the oil spills are-- STAY ON SIDE were cagers oil can't get on your tires... :wink: :wink:
Ronnie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:28 pm 

Just received my EZ Passes for all t 3 vehicles. I noticed on the wing that there is a black plastic plate between the fork tubes that probably would make a nice mounting location, anyone try? I ordered mine from NJ so I received all the transponders for free with automatic credit card payment. The motorcycle version is a long black version to be mounted on a front license plate.

IBA #30556

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:33 am 

When I was riding the toll roads regularly in Florida I kept the transponder in my right side fairing pocket, where it never failed. Just be sure the bottom of the transponder -- the side that would be affixed to a car windshield -- is up and that nothing is on top of it. I also replaced the battery every two years just to be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:37 pm 

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /799862374

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: ezpass
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:15 pm 

I have my ezpass on the windshield. and had good luck with it there

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:54 pm 

I did, as the Rev above put it, velcro up in the right fairing pocket. It worked great 4 times. (Nashua to Venco and back)

I was going pretty slow throught the booths. Wonder if it would still work well at high speed.

It was just laying there, flat on top of a bunch of quarters. Now I'll velcro it to the bottom of the lid.

BTW: When I had it in the passenger storage bin, it was in an upright position with the velcro toward the rear of the bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:05 pm 

Put my NH EZ-Pass in the center of my trunk lid on the inside with the provided industrial valcro. A toll person told me the receivers are directly overhead in the center of the lane, so i thought it best to put the ez-pass in the center somewhere. Didn't like putting it on the windshield because someone could theoretically steal it.

Have never had a miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:54 pm 

For those having a hard time with the transponder to register try placing it inside the front left side of your trunk.
It works best there for me and I have tried it in ever other spot including on myself. I having be using the fastrak as we call here for 3 years now and it has be a great time saver.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:16 pm 

"Here in CA we get to ride our bikes in the HOV and carpool lanes for free!
And Split lanes too"

That's good to hear. I didn't think that there was any freedom left in California since every inferior product that I buy says that it meets some ridiculous California standard. I'm sick of hearing about California and all of their goody-two-shoes standards that the other States are too wimpy to ignor. I guess with the highest cost of gasoline in the Nation, California can't inject many more costs on the privilege of driving the highways and that is why HOV and carpool lanes are free.

Other Bike: 1974 Kawasaki 900Z1

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next