Site Logo

The Original GL1800 Owners Group

Founded By Riders, For Riders - To join email: Join @ RidersRally (dot) org
 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Trike Insurance?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:47 pm
Posts: 9
I have ordered an '08 Honda Goldwing and converting it into a CSC trike. Very exciting I have several questions with regard to insurance before I actually call the insurance brokers:

1- Do the insurance companies recognise trikes and insure the whole trike or do they just recognize the motoecycle part and just cover the bike?

2- If they just recognize the motorcycle part how do I get the entire trike covered?

3- What insurance companies do you guys recommend and what are the going coverages/rates?

Thank you for your help. I love this forum. Very informative.

Sincerely,

Don Seddio

_________________
Live, Love and Laugh


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:36 am
Posts: 467
Location: Athens, Ohio
I have state farm ins,

They just added the infomation to my old policy and contiune with that, no increase in price.

They did say it must be a factory install,

_________________
Image
Wayne White 2005,
South Eastern Ohio
Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:35 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Reading MA
My insurance company insures it as a motorcycle with additional money for the value of the bike.

_________________
"People Helping People....That's What It's All About"

06 Titanium With CSC Conversion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 11:06 am
Posts: 353
Location: Apple Creek Ohio
Grange insurance co. now has a trike policy as that is what I have.some companys will want a picture of your trike,so they know what they are insureing. Jack


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:42 am
Posts: 13
Location: Lone Grove, Okla.
I have Foremost, and they told me the premium is less for a trike because it is considered safer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:07 am
Posts: 14
Location: South Florida
The trike kit is considered an accessory, and the bike will be valued correctly....the insurance should NOT increase, as although the value of the bike increases, trikes are statistically safer, and therefore, the premium will be less....thus, the same premium for an untriked Wing and a triked Wing...I have both, same year, and the premiums are the same...first had State Farm (State Farm had explained the reason for the same premium), then switched to Geico...at first, Geico was hgher, then a year later, they were cheaper, same exact coverage...

_________________
Beverly
Image
'07 Silver Gold Wing- level 3...another Iron Butt Wing!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:42 am
Posts: 13
Location: Lone Grove, Okla.
Roy R wrote:
I have Foremost, and they told me the premium is less for a trike because it is considered safer.

Funny thing, I just also ordered a 2008 with CSC. After talking to Foremost some time ago, they told me the premium would be less for a trike. But when I pulled the trigger, that was not the case.

My premium for my '04 two wheeler is $373. I just renewed at that rate, down from over $400 last time. When I added the trike, and my wife as driver, my new premium is $977. That is with $1000 deductible, from $500 before.

I was disappointed with that because that is not what they told me before.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 10:41 am
Posts: 163
Location: Rosemount, MN
Roy R wrote:
Roy R wrote:
I have Foremost, and they told me the premium is less for a trike because it is considered safer.

Funny thing, I just also ordered a 2008 with CSC. After talking to Foremost some time ago, they told me the premium would be less for a trike. But when I pulled the trigger, that was not the case.

My premium for my '04 two wheeler is $373. I just renewed at that rate, down from over $400 last time. When I added the trike, and my wife as driver, my new premium is $977. That is with $1000 deductible, from $500 before.

I was disappointed with that because that is not what they told me before.


Time to shop for a news insurance company.

_________________
Freedom - at ALL cost
Patriot Guard Riders - Minnesota


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:42 am
Posts: 13
Location: Lone Grove, Okla.
After spending some time on the phone with different people at Foremost, the best I could do is $961 a year.

The main factor for the higher rate is my wife. She has 0 bike experience as a rider. She changed the risk level in their criteria.

She took a beginner MSF course and got her M endorsement, but she still has no driving experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 10:41 am
Posts: 163
Location: Rosemount, MN
Roy R wrote:
After spending some time on the phone with different people at Foremost, the best I could do is $961 a year.

The main factor for the higher rate is my wife. She has 0 bike experience as a rider. She changed the risk level in their criteria.

She took a beginner MSF course and got her M endorsement, but she still has no driving experience.


This is outrages. Right now, I'm paying $221 a year for coverage on my 2 wheel GL1800. I"m fixing to trike it and we will see what the premium will be. On thing, here in Minnesota, the insurance company realizes we only ride about 7 months a year. I'm sure tha has an impact on premiums.

_________________
Freedom - at ALL cost
Patriot Guard Riders - Minnesota


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:40 am
Posts: 273
Billy4644 wrote:
My insurance company insures it as a motorcycle with additional money for the value of the bike.


This was my experience. The trike kit is considered an accessory.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trike Insurance?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:24 am
Posts: 18
I have Auto-Owners here in North Dakota and they have been an excellent insurance company. I will get back to you on cost.

Larry
2007 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Dark Orange
Champion Trike conversion

_________________
Larry Gilleland
2007 Honda Gold Wing GL1800
Dark Orange
Champion Trike
Fargo, ND
ND Patriot Guard Rider
OIF 2007 vet


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trike Insurance?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:40 am
Posts: 273
I'll say it again. Cost comparisons are not valid except those from different companies quoting to the same potential customer. There are far too many variables, even within a state, county or municipality...

An individual should talk to more than one insurance carrier or agent about her/his particular requirements. Generally speaking but of course not always; an individual will get the best quote from the company writing her/his other insurance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trike Insurance?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:06 pm
Posts: 159
Location: KIEL, WISCONSIN
I HAD MY TRIKE, CARGO TRAILER AND CAMPER INSURED WITH MARKEL-AMERICAN FOR $495.00 ANNUALLY
I DID SOME CHECKING AROUND.
I GOT A QUOTE WITH FOREMOST AND IT CAME TO $365.00 ANNUALLY.
THEN, BECAUSE I AM 66 YEARS OLD AND BELONG TO AARP, I GOT A QUOTE THROUGH AARP FOREMOST. IT CAME BACK AT $155.00 ANNUALLY.
THAT'S FOR THE TOTAL PACKAGE-
TRIKE INSURED FOR $33,000, (INCLUDING COVERAGE ON CAMPER AND CARGO TRAILER), $250.00 DEDUCT COMP-COLL., PASSENGER COVERAGE, ETC, ETC.
THIS IS ALSO FOR WISCONSIN, CLEAN DRIVING RECORD AND AGE 66.
I HAVE POSTED THIS BEFORE AND HAVE HAD A FEW SAY NOT TRUE, DON'T LIKE AARP, NOT YEAR ROUND COVERAGE, BUT ALL THE ABOVE IS TRUE AND IT'S INSURED.

_________________
T. A. JENS
"THE PIZZA MAN"
06 CHAMPION TRIKE
BUNKHOUSE CAMPER
BREEZE CARGO TRAILER


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trike Insurance?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:40 am
Posts: 273
1800 06 CHAMPION wrote:
I HAD MY TRIKE, CARGO TRAILER AND CAMPER INSURED WITH MARKEL-AMERICAN FOR $495.00 ANNUALLY
I DID SOME CHECKING AROUND.
I GOT A QUOTE WITH FOREMOST AND IT CAME TO $365.00 ANNUALLY.
THEN, BECAUSE I AM 66 YEARS OLD AND BELONG TO AARP, I GOT A QUOTE THROUGH AARP FOREMOST. IT CAME BACK AT $155.00 ANNUALLY.
THAT'S FOR THE TOTAL PACKAGE-
TRIKE INSURED FOR $33,000, (INCLUDING COVERAGE ON CAMPER AND CARGO TRAILER), $250.00 DEDUCT COMP-COLL., PASSENGER COVERAGE, ETC, ETC.
THIS IS ALSO FOR WISCONSIN, CLEAN DRIVING RECORD AND AGE 66.
I HAVE POSTED THIS BEFORE AND HAVE HAD A FEW SAY NOT TRUE, DON'T LIKE AARP, NOT YEAR ROUND COVERAGE, BUT ALL THE ABOVE IS TRUE AND IT'S INSURED.


I have no doubt that what you say is true in every respect. I do not however think the quote you received is relevant to what I may receive. There are far too many variables...

Ride safe.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL Flash Games